Friday, December 9, 2011

Rongia Naa!

The month is December. My birthday month. The month of Christmas, and New Years Eve. By the looks of it, none of this is evident in Cambodia, where it is still 80 degrees midday. Living in 100 plus weather for much of the year, Cambodians clearly aren’t used to these “cooler temperatures” and I struggle not to shake them as I see how they’ve reacted: winter coats, fur lined zip-ups, hats, gloves… The works. It is horrifying. And I know it’s real because I’ve seen people genuinely shiver! All the while, I am still sweating. Heh.

Case in point: Two days ago, it was extremely humid since the “sky wanted to rain.” I was sitting at the kitchen table and my mom turns to me with a chill, (as sweat is pouring down my face), and says “rongia naa!” (it’s so cold!!)

Twenty degrees may not be a lot, but it makes a difference in certain departments of life. For example, my bucket baths are now something I dread, rather than look forward to. During the rainy season, when it was extremely hot and humid all day, I couldn’t wait till my morning and evening bucket baths, which were necessary respites from the heat. Now, I have to mentally and physically prepare myself for a moment before pouring that first bucket of cold water over my head. It is, however, a nice change of pace to go from sweating 75% of the time, to sweating maybe 50% of the time.

Since most of my afternoons are fairly free, subtract Khmer lessons and English club with my younger kids, I’ve already devoured much of my personal library. If you care to assist in adding to my dwindling pile, I’ve put together a wish list of e-books on Amazon. If you search my name, you should be able to find my list, and you can “gift” a book to me on the website, which should then send the order number to my e-mail address so that I can download it. For any willing participants, THANK YOU. You have no idea what a difference it makes as a Peace Corps volunteer to know that regardless of how the day goes, you can cozy up with a good book to engage in some necessary escapism at the end of it.

Merry December!

6 comments:

Jeanmarie Nielsen said...

Happy December, Leah! I looked through your amazon wish list today....many of my favorites on that list!
i think you'd like Julia Glass--3 Junes, Margaret Atwood, Geraldine Brooks, Doris Lessing, Nicholas Kristof's "Half the Sky," (though maybe a little close to your current home), Wally Lamb, the other books by Jeffrey Eugenides, and so many others. I love Barbara Kingsolver and have read all of her books. Jeannette Walls' 2 books are interesting, too, esp "The Glass Castle"....I could talk books for days. Hope you like "Middlesex" Jeanmarie

Kristin said...

Will do, Leah! You might want to make sure people know that KINDLE books are the best for your iPad. I'm not sure what other formats there are, but actual BOOKS might take forever to arrive.

I'm sweating just THINKING of anyone wearing a heavy coat when it's 80 outside. Ugh.

xoxox

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Leah!

Kari McCune said...

Happy Birthday, Leah! Since you left MHS I have kept up with your adventures through your Mom and I must say, you are truly the bravest person I know. And what an accomplished person you have become along the way. You are such a credit; to yourself, to your parents, and to Manhattan. There must have been something in the air back in December 11/12, 1988 because Thomas has the same wanderlust as do you. Travel safe, I am keeping you in my prayers and may you have many, many, more Happy Birthdays!

une petite pomme said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! I love, miss and think of you often. The winter trees and the vast frigid prairies of kansas send their greatest wishes on your birthday.

Thinking of you, literally, always. In my heart.

Shannon

Anonymous said...

Hi, Leah —

Happy Birthday (late) and Merry Christmas (early). I'm going to send a Christmas check to Kristin to deposit in your bank account so you can get whatever you want, Amazon books or whatever. I've checked out your list and it looks like a great selection. I've read Barrel Fever and When you are Engulfed in Flames (I love all David Sedaris books and we always go see/hear him when he appears in Houston). I haven't read Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk, and I'm happy to be reminded of it. I though Tis was horribly depressing and didn't finish it. Just too brutal. Be warned. I'm pretty sure I read High Fidelity on Lauren's recommendation, but it's been a while ago and I don't remember it. Oh. Yeah. Now I remember it. I liked it. Here are some titles I've read lately. I'm almost finished with the new biography of Steve Jobs, cleverly titled Steve Jobs, which is fascinating, though it can be a bit tedious in the technical parts and somewhat repetitious. Still a good read about a weird and gifted obsessive sentimental jerk. At Home - a Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson. I loved this book. I reread Jane Eyre recently and came to the conclusion that the version I was forced to read in eighth grade was severely edited to protect our delicate sensibilities. The Paris Wife about Hemingway's first marriage. And, a few years ago, Water for Elephants which I absolutely loved and highly recommend.

I've been enjoying your blog. I had to laugh at the description of people wearing coats in 80° weather. Reminds me of being in England and having someone apologize for "this beastly weather". It was 75. Well, on the flip side, Lauren's kids run around in T-shirts and shorts when it's 40.

I've been checking out the workmen in my next door neighbors' back yard (clearly visible from my desk), and watching them cover the entire back yard with what looks like 3" of sand. I wonder what that's about. Maybe they are giving up on grass and going for a large patio. They are blessed with a gigantic oak tree which I have the benefit of seeing from my perch.

Off now to wrap Martha's Christmas present and wash some clothes.

xxxooo
Susie