Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Care Packages

A few of you have inquired as to what I could use that you could send in a package, so I thought I'd share a few ideas. First of all, let me say that words fail to describe the pleasure of packages in the Peace Corps. “Hey. You have a package in the mail room” someone might tell you. “A PACKAGE?!!?” you squeal with delight before running off to claim what will surely be the highlight of your day, or week, or month. Thanks to packages, I’ve been able to expose the joys of Oreos, Mac 'n' cheese, and Nutella to Cambodian friends and family, and I can assure you: lives have been changed. So, if you’re feeling generous and care to send a package, but need some ideas, here are a few.

Ziploc bags. I can never have too many of these. The best kind are the ones with the re-sealable zipper, as those get the tightest seal and are best able to keep out the ants.

Luna Bars. Not having gone so much as a month without these since before my freshman year of college, I think I've created a lifelong addiction that not even two years in the Peace Corps offers any hope of breaking. I’ve been maniacally rationing out the ones I have received in packages- dividing and savoring them in fourths. Caramel nut brownie is my favorite. If you sent a package filled with nothing but Luna bars, I’d be thrilled.

Cliff bars, Nature Valley Bars, TLC, and Kashi bars. I’m a bar lover. My love for bars is indiscriminate.

Baby wipes. These come in handy for all kinds of purposes, as I’m sure you can imagine.

Wet Ones.

Peanut butter.

Cotton balls and Q-tips.

Ped-Egg.

Fragrance-free lotion.

Stain stick. I’ve yet to come across this in Phnom Penh, and it’d be useful for the poor pits of my collared shirts I am obligated to wear every day to school.

Individual packets of oatmeal- any flavor

Mixed nuts.

Cereal! Kashi Go Lean Crunch and Heart to Heart are a couple of favorites.

If you are unable or don’t want to send a package (shipping isn’t cheap, I know), I always love receiving letters too!

Leah Mortenson (PCV)
Peace Corps Cambodia
U.S. Embassy
P.O. Box 2453
Phnom Penh 3
Kingdom of Cambodia
ASIA

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LEAH!! I hope you had a wonderful New Year's celebration. Thanks for the reminder of the goodies we can send--I plan to send a care package later this week. Hope my Christmas package got there…before New Year's! Love you!! xoxox. ~Mama