Friday, January 20, 2012

A Wedding in Pictures


Invitation: “Leah Mory Mortonson”


Mai khnyom! (my Khmer mom)- Walking to the “hi joom noon” (wedding procession), 6:30 AM.


In front of the groom’s house, which has now been transformed into party central…


“You’re so tall and I’m so short!”



Waiting for the groom and his best men to arrive



Carrying my contribution: sticky rice wrapped around pork and then bundled in a banana leaf


Boc khnyom! (my Khmer dad!)


About to start the procession! It’s starting to get hot…




Music is playing, men are sporting sampots,  we’ve got our trays of gifts and are ready to make the pilgrimage.


Aaaaaaand breakfast! Rice porridge with shrimp, bean sprouts, and a spicy red pepper sauce, followed by fruit and sticky rice cakes filled with banana, peanuts, and coconut.

A break in the afternoon to relax (and give a test to my lucky students), and then it was back for more festivities around 3:30.


…Which means more FOOD! Shrimp with pickled vegetables and crushed peanuts, roasted duck, beef stew with mint and more… Yum! J

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Love these pictures and the food pics are making me hungry! ("THESE PEANUTS ARE MAKING ME THIRSTY!!!!")

I love the photo of your Khmer dad--he looks about two seconds from bursting out laughing.

Does everyone get invited to the weddings with a real invitation or do you sometimes just show up as a peripheral guest/friend of someone? Does it matter, as long as you bring food? ;)

Leah said...

LOL Re: PEANUTS :D

Most of the time you get a real invitation, but I've been to a couple of weddings as a peripheral guest with people who were officially invited. And I didn't actually bring that tray of food so I can't take credit for it! Everyone meets up at the groom's house to help carry the food that has already been prepared.