Friday, November 18, 2011


So this week I started teaching again after having five days off from school for Water Festival, which came at a timely moment as I was afraid I was beginning to sink into the depths of my bed with no hopes to ever again return to the outside world and be a productive member of society. On Mondays, I only teach two hours in the morning, which may be a good thing because it allows me to sort of ease back into a normal work week, or could be a bad thing because it lets me be lazy a little longer… I haven’t really decided yet. Monday I had a really bad class. Like, so bad that I almost walked out on them and started crying… I choked my way through the dialogue in the book anyway, my internal dialogue screaming at me to not let them see me upset, but they’re not stupid. They knew. And I didn’t recover… I was so upset that no one was participating; the majority of them don’t know how to read in English (after having studied English for several years already- being in grade ten- many of them still don’t know how to read in English). I felt incredibly frustrated with the whole Cambodian school system in general- the corruption, the favoritism, the unequal opportunity. It all hit me at once and I found myself wanting to run away, maybe even back to America.

Fortunately, I have made some really good friends here, and my friend Amie offered me words of wisdom and hope that helped me get through the morning, and eventually the rest of the day, with a smidgen more optimistic of an outlook. There are going to be really bad days here. I came here knowing that, yet it doesn’t make the reality of one any less real, scary, or disillusioning.

On Fridays, I teach another two hours. Tuesday through Thursday, I teach four hours straight through just FYI (I’m not totally lazy), with Khmer lessons and English club in the afternoon to boot. So this morning before class, my co-teacher Chun Saroon called me. (You might remember him from a previous entry). “Hello. Yes. Today, I am very busy.” So I taught the class, to a classroom full of tenth graders whose grasp of the English language is less than tenuous at best. There were times during the lesson when I had that same feeling of Holy shit I want to be anywhere but here- when forty pairs of glazed over eyes were staring at me, bored out of their skulls- but other times when I felt like Ok, I think I can do this. And this is pretty much how every class goes for me. There are moments when I feel ok about it all- when I made them laugh at something, or someone voluntarily raises their hand to answer a question- and moments I feel hopeless.

So ok, maybe there will be days when I hate this, resent my co-teachers, resent my students, resent myself for resenting them… But then, hopefully, there will be days when I think, Ok, I can do this.

6 comments:

Kristin said...

I'm sorry you had a rough class, Leah. Sometimes it's just like that. You're up there singing and dancing and making an ass out of yourself just to get a reaction out of them. I still think some of them are embarrassed not to be more proficient than they are, and having a beautiful American WOMAN teaching them is somewhat humiliating. They'll get better and so will you. It just takes time for you all to get more comfortable. Chin up, and LOVE from home! <3

Quiltsinger said...

Hi Leah,

I read each and every one of your posts with great interest and will continue to do so. I had close friends who went to the Peace Corps after college graduation and I was so torn, because I, too, wished to have that experience. But, timing in a music career prevented me from taking that plunge. To this day, I wish I had done it. I was even in contact with a PC coordinator for a time a couple of years ago.

What you describe reminds me of my day-to-day teaching of middle school kids. After 30 years in a college/university voice studio with engaged singers, I find myself teaching middle school and high school choirs. 6th graders are heinous humans, criminals and gangsters and I experience crazy thoughts and emotions. I know you're far away and that adds a dimension that I can't know. Then again, Oklahoma is a foreign land most days.

Would it be totally out-of-line for you to break out of the text and lesson plans to engage those students in some improvisational activities? There are several that come to mind, working conversational English into the class, while being break-out kinda fun. I'll gladly share those ideas if you want.

Colin is a restless performer, singing great, and getting good opportunities and exposure.
Maren is a budding nutritionist/dietician @ TCU. She'll be doing an internship at the Baylor Medical Center next semester, kind of a big placement. She's excited, honored and a bit scared.

Well, Leah, I'm going to sign off now, hoping you find a way to reach these seemingly bored, attitude-laden teenagers. Let me know if you want to break out into some improv games.

Jeanmarie Nielsen in OKC

Anonymous said...

Hi Leah, that sounds like good advice, from Quiltsinger! Especially young teachers like you have boundless energy, and I guess it's easy to get frustrated when some days your efforts just don't 'take'. Are you committed to a strict curriculum or teaching regimen, or can you kinda approach things your own way sometimes? If you can, it might be good to just take it down a notch some days and say to yourself, 'Oh, to hell with it today' and do improv, just to look out for your own well-being and fortitude. And the kids' more engaged days will no doubt compensate for that. Anyway, good luck :) Love, Lauren Xxxoxo

Dixie said...

Leah,

I am not a teacher because I would give up. I know that you are strong and brave. You are making a difference, even if some days don't go well.

Lots and lots of love.

Dixie

Anonymous said...

[Unfortunately the dog that is blogger.com ate my first post. Or, fortunately. Here's a rewrite.] First, the obligatory "Hang in there!" Teaching is tough. Kindergarten, 12th grade, foreign or domestic. There's a reason that judges do not assign "teaching pre/teens" as an option for completing community service - most would choose incarceration. I have full confidence that you will find your niche, hit your stride, recover your mojo - one of those cliches. As has been stated previously, don't be afraid to deviate from the book. Different people learn in different ways. It's all about engagement. With a little experimentation, I'm sure you will find some common ground and you will start to build that rapport. Above all, the most important thing is that you are there and you care. That will take you a long way. And, if all else fails, teach them the Hokey Pokey. After all, that's what it's all about.

Alex

Anonymous said...

Leah, everyone else pretty much said it all. Just know that you ARE making a difference in these kids' lives, and they will probably remember everything you did and said to them for many years! Even if they seem bored now. You are probably the best thing that ever happened to them. Keep that in mind, and hang in there! We all love you and wish the best for you.
Grandma